Wednesday 17 February 2016

My shoes, alright!

Well, I had started this blogger account almost two years ago but never wrote anything. It was like an apt subject never came into my mind. Or rather, everything has been written about. Gender issues, acid attacks, climate change, pedoephelia, kiss of love, Syria , ISIS, what not ! I always wanted to stick to simple matters. After all life is best when it is the simplest. Why complicate matters!

That's when these two pairs of shoes came into our life. When my husband came back from the mosque and told me about how he lost his sandals it was nothing new. It happens in every mosque / church or temple. People knowingly or unknowingly walk away with other people's sandals. Some do so purposefully. Some by mistake. So this was a normal incident. Nothing to worry about. Less so to write about. But what happened afterwards made me write this. Here it goes.

My husband had gone to the mosque wearing a pair of sandals that he uses mainly for this purpose. Usually he remembers where he keeps his sandals outside the mosque and gets them back without any problem. But the other day as he was in a hurry somehow he happened to take another pair of sandals which appeared to be almost the same. Shortly he understood his mistake walking in a different pair of sandals but when he went back to check, his sandals were gone. He came back home
uncomfortable. But then, these types of things usually happen in mosques, temples and churches. It is of no use to worry about them. At least, he said, he got another pair of sandals, though cheaper ones,and didn't have to walk home on bare foot.
The twist came after two days. he had gone for the evening prayer a bit late. The jamaat prayer was over and the mosque was empty. After prayers when he stepped out he found his old sandals! The person who took it had returned them and was gone. My husband happily took his sandals and left the other pair back. The other man had got a slightly better but same size sandals. Why did he decide to replace them with his own ? Either he was a good Samaritan or he wasn't comfortable wearing another person's sandals.

Back home when he narrated this to me it left me thinking. However costly or comfortable, we are all are happy with our shoes. Our lives. We cannot just step into others shoes. Our lives too familiar to us. Just like that essay of John Milton, familiarity might breed liking too. However rosy from the out side everyone's life has plus and minus. Sometimes, the richest and luckiest people will be leading the saddest hollowest lives. And poor people living with content.No one would actually want to change shoes. Thank you Sir, I am happy with my shoes. I have got too used and accustomed to it that any other pair would make me uncomfortable.!

No comments:

Post a Comment